Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Rachel turns 8



Rachel Grace is 8 today. It seems like yesterday she was toddling around rubbing everything with a cloth "cleaning". And now she is in 2nd grade, writing sentences with her spelling words that embarrass me. She basically chronicles everything that goes on in the house, I need to hang on to some of that stuff. It's funny and she doesn't even know it.

She really wanted to paint pottery for her birthday, so on Saturday I took her to Bay City and she did just that. She picked out a nice little bunny to do. Everything was going great until she got to painting on some whiskers. Well, the paint brushes were a little fat to do nice whiskers, and she ended up crying over her... imperfections. But all ended well, and she seemed satisfied with the finished product. Hopefully it will be done this week, she is getting anxious to see the finished product.

10 comments:

Travis,Stephanie, Olivia & Alex said...

Oh Kara it seems like yestarday when the 2 little girls were sitting on the steps with their matching red skirts at the old church !
Time has gone quickly :)
Happy Birthday Rachel !!!!!

chris k said...

Happy birthday for Rachel. 8 years old and so grown up already. I think that doing the pottery is a hard thing because you can't erase a mistake. I'm sure the bunny will be beautiful and it was a perfect time to enjoy her mom.

Pam said...

The pottery looks like so much fun. I'd like to have Hannah's next birthday at our place like that, maybe with a friend and her mom.
Rachel and Hannah are so much alike. Hannah would have a really hard time with an imperfection. Little do they know that's the stuff us mom's think is perfect.

Anonymous said...

Oh My! Our little Rachel, growing so fast. She loves to talk to me at church about what she does at home or school. I love to listen. By the way, that bunny looks like the one that has been under our tree in the back yard for years. But...I can't see the front of it. I will see her this Sunday, I hope! ~Cathy

Kara said...

Steph, yes, I remember it well. :)

Chris, she is such a perfectionist.
Oh, and after pottery we went to Wendy's and had cheeseburgers. She had a gift certificate from when she was student of the month!

Pam, there was a birthday party going on there that day. They brought pizza in and everything!

Cathy- it DOES look like your little bunny. She painted it brown with pink nose and ears.

Together We Save said...

Sounds like a fun birthday even thoughh there were a few tears.

Laurie said...

I remember Rachel and Olivia in their first Christmas program. I believe they spent most of the time with their dresses over their heads. :)

I probably would have cried too, and then would have wanted to start over until it was perfect. I'm sure it is beautiful. It will be fun when Addie is old enough to take there.

krissy said...

I thought of you today while a hygenist dug into my gums. I bet you're gentle. :-) I'm almost ready to drive to MI for a good dentist office.

Kara said...

Krissy! I think I'm gentle yet thorough. Which translates into rough when I need to be? I lady told me Monday, "Either my teeth are worse this time or you're in the mood to excavate..." I tried not to laugh.

Amanda Irene said...

It just hit me that emma will will 8 soon too. Every time I see rachel I thin k how big and smart she is! Time IS flying by!