Sunday, August 8, 2010

Our New Baby


Thursday started off with my weekly check-up at the OB. During the exam Sonya the P.A. exclaimed, "You are goin'!!" I said, "What do you mean 'I'm goin' ?" Sonya said that I was dilated 4-5 cm and 100%. She told me I was not to go home but go right to the hospital. I said no, I'm not contracting, I had some things to do at home first. So we compromised and I said I would go home quickly and take care of my business (like get my sister-in-law to the house to watch the other 5 yahoos) and we'd head up to the hospital. This was around 10am.
So around noon we headed up to the hospital. They checked me and confirmed what Sonya said. They hooked me up to the monitors and not much contraction action was going on, just here and there. I asked if I could go home, but they said no since I tend to deliver quickly if my water breaks. So the plan was to get my antibiotics going (since I tested positive for GBS again) and after 2 doses of that they would break my water and we'd have a baby by night time. So we spent the afternoon watching Little House on the Prarie and pooping a lot (this was my clue that yes, the time was coming). By 7pm I had gotten in both bags of antibiotics. The dr. came in at 7:30 to break my water. I was dilated to a 6 at this time. At 8:24 my baby entered this world. It couldn't have gone more smoothly. The cord was wrapped around her neck twice, but the doc was quick to unwrap it and she was just fine. Once again the good Lord was watching over us and I have a healthy beautiful baby. Casey was a trooper changing several poopy diapers the first night, but hey. It's the least he can do. :)

My new girl Bethany Brooke. We immediately thought she looked like Thomas.




All cleaned up and ready for a night of eating and crying. That's all the first night entailed. The second night was much better.


Adam and Rachel couldn't wait to get their hands on her.


Anna took the baby very seriously.


Thomas and his girl


Enjoying the sunny room

16 comments:

Jackie said...

Congratulations Kara and Casey! She is beautiful! The pics of the kids with her are great.

Carrie said...

Congratulations!!! What a precious little cutie-pie!! Glad to hear everything went so quickly and smoothly. :) Loved all the pics of the proud siblings with their new baby!!

Jen said...

Congrats you guys! How Awesome!

The Talberts said...

She is so beautiful! I am trying to comprehend what it must be like to dilate to six centimeters without even one contraction. What a great experience and a gorgeous little girl. Congrats, Veihl family!

Angie, Jon, Ty, Wyatt & Levi said...

She is beautiful, Congratulations! I love her name. Her brothers and sisters look so happy to have another sibling in the house!

Laurie said...

I just love a good baby story. :) Thanks for letting me love on her this weekend.

Pam said...

I love a good story - especially those with a happy ending.
I too can't believe you went to 6 without a contration!!

Kara said...

I was having what felt like Braxton-Hicks that afternoon, the contractions weren't any different than that-- until they broke my water. That's when they feel "real".

Liz K said...

you look amazing for just having a baby! So glad you don't have crazy stories like me! No one deserves that! What a doll baby!

Betsy said...

YAY!!! Can't wait to meet the new little one. Such a beautiful name. Congratulations!

chris k said...

Congratulations Veihl family. What a quickie she was.

The Johnston's said...

I can't wait to meet her and maybe it will cool off my baby fever.

krissy said...

She is beautiful!!!!!! Congratulations!

Amanda said...

she has long fingers and long feet and I just can't wait for her to smile at me. congrats my friend.

Jenny said...

yay, what a great story! So glad I finally got on here and read it! :-)

the johnson crew said...

congratulations in your beautiful daughter (you make it all seem so easy)