Monday, October 26, 2009

Yum

Last week I made caramel apples for the first time. Here's how it went...


I had to go with Steph A.'s suggestion to use Granny Smith apples. The sour with the sweet? I'm drooling just thinking about it!


Oooooo. Just look at that bubbly caramel goodness. I bought a candy thermometer years ago and this was the first time I used it. It went extremely well. No one was injured in the caramel-making process.
This was the recipe I used. You really can't go wrong when butter, brown sugar, sweetened condensed milk, and (look away Jenny M!) corn syrup are all boiled together.


Eeek! Look at those warty bubbles! I figured a smattering of white and dark chocolate should help to cover those up. It did help.
I would definitely make this caramel again. It was deeee- lish.
However, does anyone have any suggestions to keep it from totally sticking to the waxed paper? I liberally buttered the paper like the recipe said, but it really didn't help AT ALL.

6 comments:

Laurie said...

Did you save one for me? :) When I make caramel corn, I spread it out on aluminum foil and it doesn't stick. Not sure if that would work for the apples.

Amanda Irene said...

Pam spray? Yummmy!!!

Kara said...

Laurie, this caramel would stick to anything in it's path.
Amanda- possibly, possibly...

Pam said...

Those look super yummy!!!!

Kelly Glupker said...

Looks great. I always dip the bottom of my caramel covered apple in some sugar before putting it on wax paper. They don't stick and you don't notice the sugar when you eat them.

Jenny said...

corn syrup, for the record, is fine. It's the high fructose corn syrup that is the real monster. Those look very messy, but I'm sure they were yummy! :-) I would have to cut it in slices to eat it. :-)