Thursday, May 21, 2009

A Mom's Work is Never Done


So we play in the back yard a lot. We basically live out there once it's warm enough to run out with no shoes (and for Tommy that mean around March when there is still some snow around, but I digress... ). But tonight I just shook my head as I was picking up all the junk after everybody went to bed. I had to hurry because it was getting dark. Here is a sampling of what a mom with 5 kids finds in the yard at dusk...
*A fork
*6 shoes (a couple of them didn't even have a mate)
*5 lawn chairs (some are big, some are small)
* 2 wagons
* a shovel and 2 spades (they are "working" in their hole again)
* a notebook and feather topped pen (I'll give you two guesses who that belongs to.)
* a basketball (because it's fun to dribble in the grass)
* a bowl (I think it went with the fork)
* a scooter (again, because it's fun in the grass)
* 1 sock
* 2 t-shirts
* various faded plastic toys

I am tired. I think I'll go read my book The Spider Catcher. It is so good! It is fiction, but I feel like I'm learning so much about Revolutionary times! It makes me want to visit Boston and Philidelphia. Is that spelled right?

7 comments:

chris k said...

A fork. Who doesn't have a fork lying around in their backyard? Only the uncool people. Hee hee, that made me laugh.

Rachael Neal said...

amen - a mom's work is never done! my house is a wreck and i have no motivation to clean. why? when I live with two tornados who will mess it up again.

The Talberts said...

ha. Love the list. We live outdoors during the warm weather, too. The other night, I was nursing Eli to sleep and I noticed that he had blades of grass stuck in between his toes. And um .. gritty sand from the sandbox in his sheets. We stayed outside past bath time and right into bed time that night. Oh well.

Laurie said...

Kara you would like Boston, and you could find worse things in your lawn...like say a dirty diaper. :)

Liz K said...

so very true! How fun...and Rachel, I live with 3 tornados as well...oh dear...what's going to happen when the littlest one can walk?!

amber said...

I'm so happy for warm weather, although I wonder how I'm supposed to do dishes, wash laundry, etc. when we're outside all day except for meals and even some of those are outside. I guess MI is nice enough to throw in some cooler days at least several times a week so we can get stuff done inside!

Amanda Irene said...

cleaning just feels like me moving things to a spot day after day. hey! thats what it is. Their lucky we love them and don't eat our young. ; )