Thursday, September 17, 2009


Ah, sweet morning. Everybody loves everybody after a long night of separation. We are all refreshed. Anna is sleeping through the night now. Wow, that only took 13 months (please note the sarcasm). I was bordering on insane, but then came the morning (sometime last week) where I woke up and realized that someone hadn't cried in the night. And I smiled.


The day seemed to spiral downward after Tommy punctured his upper lip with the garden pruners. With Tommy, these incidents just... happen. I was just happy that it stopped bleeding and wasn't going to need a stitch.

I'm having spelling issues with Adam. He has started 1st grade. I would like him to complete it. However, spelling is killing us! He just doesn't get it. He knows all his letters, but to put them together? Oy. We have been practicing "went" and "this" all week. He sits there and fidgits and scratches his head and then I start to get loud. That's what I do when people don't understand. The loudness doesn't seem to help, though. I'm so frustrated and so is Adam. Any words of advice would be appreciated.

8 comments:

chris k said...

do you have a sandbox? If so, have him practice drawing the words in the sand. I think your little one needs to feel the letters in the words. If you don't have that, trevor made a board that had paint in it and would work. You could put rice in a box top and do the same thing. I have some other ideas, let me know if you need them.

Liz K said...

Anna needs to have a talk with Elliot. That child was up 3 times to nurse last night! Ahhh, I keep telling him he is not a newborn, but something about warm milk in a snugly bed with mama...maybe if it wasn't so nice he would stop?

Kara said...

Chris, yes we have a sand box! I should've known you'd have some good ideas. I'll let you know how it goes.

Liz, I so know what you are saying. We are finally down to nursing only at night before bed and breakfast time. So hang in there!

Laurie said...

Look at that face...poor Tommy.

Maybe Adam is dyslexic, I know Casey is/was. I know it's frustrating, hang in there, I pray it gets better.

Laura Wells said...

Love the new picture at the top. Remember too with words like "this"--you can't sound that one out. You just have to memorize it. For a few sight words we would create a song to help remember. Good luck. And remember spelling may be tough but maybe he is whizzing through math!

The Johnston's said...

It sounds like me and maude when I was in school. Maybe she would have some ideas. Remember you do have a teacher just a phone call away.

Phil Luter said...

Well, I understand that insanity thing a little better now, and I was wondering why you were loud with me. It's OK though, at least I can hear without my hearing aids. Every kid is different. The key is to find what they excell in and encourage them all you can.

Jackie said...

This web site is great for making up games: word searches, crosswords, etc. You can use his spelling words.

http://puzzlemaker.discoveryeducation.com/

Maybe he wouldn't realize he was learning if it was a game?