Saturday, September 26, 2009

Not for the Faint of Heart


Here I am. Just ignore the mustache. And flakey boog. It was 7am. I was at the periodontist's office to have #5 extracted and then have an implant placed. #5 is my ugly tooth with much recession and no bracket. The tooth has given me problems over the past 10 years. It's a long boring story, you just need to know that the tooth is coming out. And I'm more than ready...

Well would you look at that. I have a big hole in my head! It's not supposed to look that way, the big cavernous hole leading up to... my brain. There should be some BONE somewhere for Pete's sake. The dr. flapped back my gums only to find NOTHING. I had no bone on the lingual OR the buccal side of the tooth. That makes it pretty hard to place an implant- there's nothing to put the post into. So instead of getting the post of the implant in as planned, Dr. M. had to hammer in some bone- some human, some not so human. Mooooooo. Excuse me, that just slipped out.
Well, after all that messing around, the periodontist did some slicing and dicing and closed me back up pulling tissue from hither and yon to suture over the extraction site/bone graft. And now we wait four months for the bone graft to take. And then the implant process can begin.
I feel that I am babbling, so if you have any questions feel free to ask. I hope you have enjoyed this post as much as I have.

15 comments:

Pam said...

COOL and GROSS all at the same time. Weird about the bone thing....Mooo!

Liz K said...

What kind of mutant are you? :) No bone between your mouth and your head? How was that tooth staying in there in the first place?

Do you have a desire to eat grass and hay now? just saying

The Johnston's said...

That is very odd. I am also wondering how did a tooth stay there??

Kara said...

The tooth was a tad loose. It was mostly hanging on by gum tissue I guess. You would be AMAZED at how teeth with no bone support sit there in your head. They are loose, but hanging on.

Laura Wells said...

MOOO? You are too funny.I'm glad this in your professional area of interest. At least you can explain what is going on.

chris k said...

Forget mooing, are you making milk? Are dairy products now taking on a whole other meaning for you? That was pretty gross though. Trevor wanted to know why someone would put that on their blog. I explained that we weird ones asked for it. Does this mean that all of your flossing went to waste? Just wondering...

The Talberts said...

I think my morning sickness just came back. I'm sorry. I wish I could think that was as cool as your other, less squeamish friends. But I had to skim by so quickly so I could stop seeing that bloody monstrosity at the top of the post that I'm not even sure what it was all about. Funny that I can see pigs castrated and slaughtered, but a friend's bloody teeth (or whatever that was) is just too much for me.

running shoes said...

very interesting.
so that piece coming out of your gum on the top is the other tooth's root?
what did he use to make the moo/ human part stay when he hammered it?

so the reason the tooth was a problem was the lack of bone?

Kara said...

Chris- as a matter of fact I am still making a little milk. Hey, you asked.

Melissa- I do hope we can still be friends. I promise not to post another gross pic for a long long time.

Running shoes- what you see is bone, not the other tooth's root. And honestly, I don't know how he put the bone in. There were 2 assistants and 1 periodontist with their hands in my mouth and I was sooo numb all I felt was tap tap tap... weird.

The premolar that was extracted died years ago. My cuspid (the tooth in front of the dead one) was impacted right over top of it. When I was in high school they tried to bring the cuspid down, but in the process the root of the premolar was exposed and it died. I ended up with a root canal, but it still kept getting infected. So then they did an apicoectomy (where they remove the root tip and infected area surrounding the rt tip. After all that it STILL wouldn't heal. The verdict was that the premolar must have a cracked root. The endodontist said I'd be lucky if the tooth lasted 4 more years. It has been 9 years. Whew. Is anybody still reading this?

Jackie said...

So what is there now? A hole? Soon you can tell everyone you have implants :)

chris k said...

I was still reading and acting like I was interested in all of that dental mumbo jumbo. Wondering how Adam is doing with his spelling?

Rachel said...

Holey head! Tee hee. Very strange indeed. Hooray for cow-bones! I'm all about blood and guts, bring it.

Jenny LaBo said...

NIIIIIICE!

Laurie said...

FASCINATING! I'm proud of you for taking your camera. :)

Phil Luter said...

And you wonder why I don't like dentistry. At least you have something to say if you are ever called a "bonehead." "Nope, nothing like that in my head."