Monday, August 24, 2009

Simply the Best

Last week I took the kids for our final round of blueberry picking. Casey was at work. We did alright without dad, but I had to pick twice as fast and frankly I don't like hard labor. Anywho, we went to the Berry Patch for the first time. The ladies working there were wonderful! They Oooo-ed and Ahhhh-ed over my beautiful children and gave them lots of stickers because it was the end of the season. So, we will be back to the Berry Patch next year. I love nice people.

I was sent home with a copy of the Berry Patch Gazette which had several recipes on it, and I have been itching to make blueberry buckle ever since Melissa posted about it last year. So this is the Berry Patch's version of...

Blueberry Buckle

2 1/2 c. blueberries (fresh or frozen)
1/4 c. butter, softened
3/4 c. sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
2 c. flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 c. buttermilk (I always keep that powdered kind handy)

Streusel Topping:
1/4 c. white sugar
1/4 c. brown sugar
1/4 c. flour
1/4 c. butter
1/2 tsp. cinnamon

In mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Beat in eggs and vanilla. In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt. Add this to creamed mixture alternating with milk. Fold in blueberries. Pour into greased 9x9 baking dish.
Combine sugars, flour and cinnamon for topping and cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over batter.
Bake at 375 for 25-30 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool in pan on wire rack.

It was wonderful. Casey said he could eat the whole thing in one sitting. Of course I didn't let him.

5 comments:

Jenny said...

of course you would have to post this this day upon which I curse the scale and try to get back on track after the birthday month and vacation. ugh. I can almost smell the fabulous aroma from here.

amber said...

I love the Berry Patch, too! I think it's worth the drive to get there! I'll have to try that recipe. Matt would prefer chocolate, so if I make a blueberry dessert, I have to eat it all after he has a piece or two! Bummer!

Kara said...

Jenny, you could always stop in for a little nibble! Blueberries are good for you, you know, just scrape the sugar off the top. :)

Amber, after you have this baby I'll bring you something not chocolate. All for you.

undergroundcrowds said...

oooo I've got to try this

Amanda Irene said...

This is what i was trying to make last year!! buckle!
yummm!