Saturday, January 12, 2008

Our Story

I was tagged by Amanda to tell the story about how we met, our first date, the wedding, etc. Hmmm, I guess I'll start at the beginning... (this is going to be a really long post I'm afraid)

I worked at the Olive Garden for 2 years before Casey arrived on the scene. I was a hostess, he was a wanna be server. He started out hosting, but we quickly saw that Casey could do any job at the restaurant that you threw at him. He finally ended up waiting on tables. He was one of the best servers they'd ever had . And he was cute to boot.
He was dating someone, I was dating someone, we were friends, nothing more. For 2 years this went on. I was eventually single, he was single as well. I was working late one night at O.G. and the phone rang. It was Casey. He asked me what I was doing that evening. I said going home and going to bed, which was what I really wanted to do. I was almost done with my dental hygiene clinicals and still holding a part-time job, I was beat. But he said, "No, you're not going to bed, we're going to the movies." He was there at the end of my shift with his dazzling grin and we went to the movies. I rode all the way there crouched down in the front seat for fear we might be spotted by some O.G. cronies. Mind you, he had just broke up with one of the other hostesses and she was crushed. She spilled her guts to me. And here I was going to the movies with him. Ohhhh this could be bad.
So I honestly don't remember what movie we saw. I was that excited to be holding hands with him. I had been ogling him for some time, but I didn't think I was really his type- whatever that means.
Three weeks into our dating he started talking about getting married. I laughed every time he mentioned it. It was so soon... right? Well, he proposed in July- we had dated 4 1/2 months. We were engaged for 4 months. We wed on December 4, 1999.

This was at the rehearsal dinner. Look at how long my hair is!


Here we are with Pastor Aaron. He looks kind of serious here, but he is one of the funniest people I have ever met. And he did great with our marriage counseling. Just look at what a success we are!


I love chocolate cake. No, we didn't shove it into each other's faces, but I did almost choke to death when he shoved it into my mouth.

Baby number one is here! February 2002
Wow, look at Casey's face in this picture! It cracks me up every time I look at it. This was taken not too long after Rachel was born. She was 8 weeks early, so she had to spend 4 weeks in the NICU. It was a tough time for us, but she never had any major problems.


Oh looky! Half the people that read my blog were there at the hospital the day I had Rachel. We were posing with Rachel's picture since she couldn't be with us in person.


I wish this photo wasn't so blurry, but I treasure it because it was taken the day they took her off the fancy oxygen machine and she just had a nasal canula. Ahhh, progress.


We bought a trampoline before we had kids. We had a blast on that thing. This pic is of Rachel with daddy. I have a hilarious picture of Jenny on the trampoline somewhere around here!


Rachel and Thomas (3rd Veihl child)


Here we are on our 8 yr anniversary this past December.


Here are the four munchkins- Abby (1), Thomas (2 1/2), Adam (4), Rachel (5 1/2) this past Christmas. We are so blessed. We had that Gaither song sung at our wedding, but at the time I didn't know just how blessed I was going to be with my husband and my babies. I wouldn't change a thing.

Now I tag Jenny L., Pam W., and Steph A. !! Tell us your stories!

6 comments:

Jenny LaBo said...

Kara,
That was beautiful. Thank you for posting. I even misted up at some of the pictures.
:)

Anonymous said...

I still have that coat!

Amanda Irene said...

I really enjoy looking at those old pictures. I al so blessed to have you and Casey as friends!

Phil Luter said...

I'm not in the picture, but I was there for the birth of number one. That was where I got to know what great people you two are.

I got a chance to talk to Rachel yesterday. She may have gotten off to a slow start but she is sure a fine young lady now. Must be good parenting. Seems to be your calling.

Amanda Irene said...

I was laughing at her and emma. We both did braids which isn't like them. Or they don't like i should say. It was about 5 minutes after i said neat you both have your hair braided that they took it out!! I loved the waves though!

Wow only 208 days left. One day at a time I guess.

Jackie said...

I love the story. Glad you got your pictures scanned on on the blog. It's great to see the old photos. You still have that same great smile (I'm sure Casey does too, but I haven't met him yet :)