Thursday, August 28, 2008

Soup's On


I enjoy soup. A complete meal in one pot is a beautiful thing. I made this last night and Casey had the leftovers today. He really liked it, and so did I!


***Chicken Soup with Beans***

1 large onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 TBS veg. oil
1 1/4 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cooked and cubed
2 cans (15 1/2 oz.) Great Northern beans, rinsed and drained
2 cans (11 oz.) white or shoepeg corn, drained
1 can (10 oz.) diced tomatoes and green chilies undrained (I used several fresh tomatoes chopped up)
3 c. water ( I added some chicken broth and threw in some barley for good measure. I love barley)
1 can (4 oz.) chopped green chilies
2 TBS lime juice
1 tsp. lemon pepper seasoning
1 tsp. ground cumin
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper

In a small skillet saute onion and garlic until tender. Transfer to 5 qt. slow cooker. Stir in the chicken, beans, corn, tomatoes, water, green chilies, lime juice, and seasonings. Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours or until heated through. Yield 3 quarts.

I just made it in my favorite pot on the stove- let it simmer for maybe 2 hours. It was fine. We enjoyed ours with cheddar cheese sprinkled on top. Yum!


This is how I watch Anna while I'm in the kitchen. She was happy enough.

3 comments:

The Talberts said...

Thanks.
It's 1:19 a.m. and now all I can think about is soup.
I'm going to have to give that a try when our weather is a little cooler.
I still keep meaning to try those blueberry muffins you posted about awhile back.

Kara said...

Melissa, I'm just happy I could provide you with a new post to read while you are up in the wee hours.
And yes- you need to make those muffins!

Kelly Glupker said...

I love new recipes - especially ones I can make in the crockpot! Soups are great for fall and winter. I'll have to tuck this one away. Thanks.