Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Our Neighbor


We have a neighbor that is very dear to us. We have been neighbors for about three years. Her husband passed away almost two years ago, and she had to put one of her dogs to sleep earlier this summer. She has been horribly lonely and depressed ever since the passing of her husband. She has no family in the area, so she always says we are her family. :) Her depression and anxiety have been getting worse this past year. She doesn't sleep much at night and frequently talks with us about how she is feeling, such as being empty or having ugly darkness inside her. She wakes up in the night feeling scared.

We have invited her to church several times. She knows we believe Jesus is the only way. Even our heating and cooling guy (Mark H. from church) has been over to her house to repair something and shared the gospel with her. I gave her the book The Stranger on the Road to Emmaus a week ago. She is absolutely loving it. She said when she wakes up in the night she reads a chapter of it, and it's been very easy to understand. Yeah! We are praying that her eyes will be opened and she will put her trust totally in Him. Satan has been very powerful in her life lately, but without God she won't be able to overcome him. If you think of it, pray for our neighbor and that we'll have the right words to say to her when we have our conversations.

5 comments:

Laurie said...

Isn't nice to have such great neighbors? I'll pray for her. Which one is this? Lou? Judy?

Jenny said...

That is a great book. We use it ever 2 years as Sunday School curriculum for our junior highers. It's a great tool. I'll be praying for your neighbor!

Pam said...

I'll be praying for her and you. You have always had a great way of connecting with your neighbors. God will use you, I'm sure in more ways that you know.

Amanda Irene said...

its on my list to read.....ever since you gave it to me! I'm soo lucky to have you. :) OH, and praise jesus! I'll put her on my list!

Phil Luter said...

I will pray with you for her.