Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Labor Day Weekend - Part II


Casey and I went to Mackinac Island all by ourselves on Labor Day! It was the perfect day, but I didn't think that was going to be the case when we wheeled into Mackinac City- thousands of people were lining the streets, cars were lined up to the freeway. However, these nutjobs were in line to walk the bridge- not go to the island! Thank you Lord! So after we maneuvered the horrendous traffic, we were on our way to peace and tranquility.


Everyone had their cameras out for a picture of the bridge.


Here we are on the boat! The first of many self-portraits that day. :)


Main Street! I get goosebumps just thinking about the smell of horse manure and fudge, I love it THAT MUCH!


If you are enticed to stop into this museum, don't. You could go through it for a donation (the woman at the desk pretty much demanded $1 per person, and it wasn't even worth that. Save it for the fudge).


We didn't go through the fort, we just galavanted all over on foot, taking in the beautiful gardens and people watching.


My summer home. I wish! The red door would go with the red garden chair that I am going to refurbish someday.


A nice view- I think we were almost to the Governor's mansion here.


Cute sign with cute flowers.


My other summer home.




His and her fudge. Can you tell which one is his?


Here we are traipsing through the forest on our way to the Grand Hotel property...
Even Casey was in the mood to pose with these logs. It seemed very manly compared to the flowers I was making him look at.

I don't think we were supposed to be here, but the gardens beckoned to me. Perfect photo op. It was by the Grand Hotel's croquet area. Definitely out of our league.


Casey under the Grand Hotel.


I really liked their arbor.


THis is by the Mission Point resort. I mainly took this for Adam and Rachel because they are into kites right now.


My feet were KILLING me! I decide to soak them for a few minutes.


I love gazebos. Casey is in there taking a load off.


Here we are entering the Mission Point area of the Island. We ran into the guy that built these bird houses and planted some of the trees around this area. We high-fived. It was cool.


Even though we didn't go through the butterfly house, we saw many many butterflies up and down the street. I sure hope we can go back next year, we had so much fun.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice pictures, Kara!
Wow, it's going to take me some time to catch up on everyone's blog after 15 days of no computer! Your children look a little more grown up! Hope school goes well for Rachel & Mom!

Jenny LaBo said...

Kara these are great. I am so glad you had a good time!

Jenny LaBo said...

oh and clearly the one on the left is yours.
Casey doesn't like nuts. ;)

Kara said...

Cathy- we miss you!
Jenny- You are correct! (and we miss you, too!)

Laurie said...

More great pictures Kara! Glad you were able to spend a little alone time with your hubby. When I called the house Monday, George said he was watching the kids...and he lost one, but Tommy had just went to lay down to rest with Aunt Sarah.

Pam said...

Kara the pictures are beautiful! Spending a day away with your husband is priceless isn't it? So glad you had a great time.

Anonymous said...

Wow this looks like great fun!!! The "lovers" (you guys are so cute) on Mackinaw Island.
These pictures are great! You have quite the eye!
Amanda....still anonymous

Jenny LaBo said...

Amanda you need a blog. Imgaine how fun it would be getting comments of your own!! :) Plus I want to see pictures of you and your family.
Cathy seriously isn't it about time to get your own.

Josh said...

Mmm... Joann's fudge. My family used to go to Mackinaw City/Island every Fall, just before all the shops closed for the year (you get some awesome sales that way). I've never been all that cuckoo for fudge, but on the occasions I did eat some, it was always Joann's.

Kara said...

Joanne's fudge is definitely the best one, it's not all dry and grainy.

Kelly Glupker said...

What a romantic day for you two. How fun!

TraceyLD said...

What a great time it looks like you had. I'm glad you were able to get away.
Got to love that alone time.
I love the butterfly picture. And to have so many in the shot. Great job!