Saturday, June 21, 2008

My Grandma's 80th Birthday Party




Today a bunch of my mom's side of the family got together to celebrate my grandma's birthday. She is an awesome grandma. I spent many many days of my childhood at her house. I remember playing "restaurant" or "office" with my cousin Paula (the blonde cutting the cake) in the upstairs of the farmhouse. Grandma let us wear her lipstick, and there were only 2 colors: pink or brown. Neither looked good on us, but we wore them just the same. Grandma has 13 grandkids. She made us all blankets, Pound Puppies, Cabbage Patch Kids, or whatever was cool at the time. And we had a Barbie wardrobe that no store could contend with. She sewed or crocheted it all. And she would let us eat applesauce, cheese and crackers for lunch. My mom never would. Grandma let us run through the sprinkler wearing the thick red tights (circa 1969 I'm guessing) that we found in a drawer upstairs, and she laughed just as hard as we did. She sometimes watched Days of our Lives and let me brush her hair with her pink brush. She still denies watching Days. Anyway, I love my grandma, and I'll always be thankful for the love she showed us.

9 comments:

The Speer's said...

I have many memories at my grandparents farm house with cousins arn't they wonderful. I miss the old days and wish things could be that simple again.

The Speer's said...

Your grandma sounds like a wonderful person. I hope to be a great grandma someday.

Pam said...

My grandma turns 80 next week and I have some wonderful memories of her too. Aren't grandmas the best??

Jackie said...

I love Grandma's. I have great memories of weekends and holidays at both my grandma's houses. It was great.

The Talberts said...

Awww. Happy Birthday, Grandma! It's wonderful to have special women in our lives.

Amanda Irene said...

Me too I hope i live till 80yrs! Wooo wee!

My gram said things like I love you, you little dummey. And if I find the milk left out (after we told her we put it away) can I give you a good slap. Its the way we knew she loved us. I bet you like the way she has her house decorated too. Or whoever house that is. Is that your moms?

Kara said...

No, it's my cousin's house, and I LOVE it. If I was neat and orderly and could decorate that's what my house would look like.

Laurie said...

What a great looking bunch! I'm sure your grandma had a wonderful day she won't forget. :)

amber said...

Your grandma sounds like an amazing lady! I'm so thankful for the wonderful older women in my life.