Wednesday, May 28, 2008

I Love Summer Food


I think everyone (all you blogging friends out there) should share a favorite summer dish, just post it on your blog. Jenny needs a side dish, this is one that my neighbor made for us last summer when we cooked out, I loved it! I had never had Spam in my life, and it was actually pretty tasty in this, but I'm sure you could substitute cubed ham and it would be just as good.

Macaroni Luncheon Salad

2 c. elbow or shell macaroni
1 TBS. salt
3 qt. boiling water (who ever measures this?)
1 can luncheon meat (12 oz. spam) diced
1 can pimentos (4 oz.) drained and chopped
1 cucumber, cubed
3/4 c. sour cream
1/4 c. mayo
1/4 c. chopped onion
2 tsp. lemon juice
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. celery seed
pepper to taste

Cook macaroni w/ salt. Rinse with cold water, drain.
Mix in spam, pimento, and cucumber.
Blend sour cream, mayo, onion, lemon juice, and remaining seasonings. Combine w/macaroni mixture. Chill. Serve on crisp salad greens (which we never do).

Note: I made this on Memorial Day and used a little onion powder instead of real onion, it was definitely lacking in flavor. Real onion is the way to go if you like them!

12 comments:

Jackie said...

I love all food - I can't say I have a favorite season. I'll have to think of one and put it on my blog.

Kara said...

Yeah Jackie! I knew you would be a good sport!

Chris said...

My favorite food is steak on the grill!!

Kara said...

Chris, that's as bad as posting about the pizza several months ago.

Kara said...

Chris, what I meant to say was I know you can cook! Pull out that recipe box and share!

The Talberts said...

Hmmm. I'll have to think of something, too. Which also reminds me - I never gave you that hummus recipe that I promised ages ago. I'll post that, too. Soon. ;)

Off topic - what is our connection? I know you through Katie Nuelsen's blog. Do you know her personally?

Kara said...

Melissa-
Lets see...
One of my best friends if Pam W., who is a cousin to Rachael Neal. So being the nosey person that I am I read all their links and found Katie N. I would laugh every time I read her blog, so I started to keep up on it, and that's how I got to you. I'm really not a stalker, that would mean that I left the house sometimes.

The Talberts said...

so you're friends with rachael neal's cousin. got it. well ... i'm going to add you to my list of links on my sidebar so i can easily read your blog. i like keeping up with people who have more children than me - it gives me hope that i'll be able to do things like blog even after this little one is born. :)

*Monica* said...

I finally did a blog Kara :) Now I need to steal your friends! So send them to me!

Amanda Irene said...

Kara has the best freinds. :)

Normally when kara says .....
I say YEah!!!!

But you lost me at cucumbers and lunch meat. I am a pickey eater I pick out all the good stuff though.

Spam! You haven't had spam and you call yourself a country girl?!?!

I love spam. Well I used too when it didn't make my body swell from the salt.

Chris said...

Kara,
You are telling me that doing steak on the grill isn't cooking??? My mom always over does the steak on the grill, there is an art to grilling!!! I'm hurt!

Kara said...

Chris, you are absolutely right, I take back what I said. I will look forward to a steak sometime this summer. :)