Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Just when you thing it can't get any worse...


it does. I got to visit the ER this morning.

I woke up in the middle of the night thinking I had the start of a bladder infection. Well, by 6am I was rolling around on the bathroom floor with terrible pain in my back, left side. The pain was so bad it was making me throw up. Good ol' Phil Luter came over so Casey could take me to the hospital. It takes my mom an hour and a half to get here, I could not wait that long.

It felt almost exactly like being in labor with no epidural, which I have done 5 times. I actually think this was worse, and there was no cute baby to hold in the end, just a little grain to pee out. You guessed it- KIDNEY STONES! They medicated me pretty well since I was writhing all over the bed. The first dose did nothing. The second dose of something much stronger sent me to la la land. Apparently the nurse came in a bit later to find me all tensed up and purple. I really don't look good in purple. She rubbed on my chest several times to get me to come to. My poor husband was by me the entire time. After I had settled down they took me for a CT scan (I think that's what it was) where it was revealed that I had passed one stone, but one more was still in my kidney. They sent me home with instructions to take motrin when I felt the symptoms coming on again. Oh brother. So needless to say, I THINK I passed the other stone, I was in pain here at home several more times, but nothing like it was at the hospital.

My mom is spending the night tonight, I really needed help with the sick kids. Abby I think is getting better. She has an appointment tomorrow to check her eye. And Anna got sick last night- high fever, snotty nose. So that's my story today.

Have any of you had kidney stones? This has probably been the worst day of my life.

15 comments:

Carrie said...

Oh Kara, what an ordeal!! And with sick kids too . . . :( I'll be praying that you all feel better very soon!

I have not experienced a kidney stone, but I had something similar happen when I was about 6 mos. pregnant with my first. We were visiting my hubby's family in Ohio, and one morning I had this horrible pain on my right side/back that was making me throw up over and over. It was the worst pain I've ever felt. I think it was even worse (or at least just as bad as labor.) I thought maybe it was my appendix, and of course I was very worried about the baby. I went to the ER, was admitted, and after testing they determined it was some kind of a blockage but not an actual kidney stone. They were able to give me something for the pain and I had to drink, drink, drink to get it to clear up. I spent the whole day in the hospital and was released that night. It was definitely the most interesting Christmas Eve I've ever had! I was so relieved that it wasn't a problem with the baby, though. Ever since then I have been extra careful to drink plenty when I am pregnant; I would not want to go through that again for anything!!! I'm sure you feel the same way about kidney stones. :) Get lots of rest and feel better!!

Jenny said...

oh. my. goodness.

I feel your pain. Or rather, have felt your pain. But this was before kids, so you have got me beat. I am praying that you feel better SOON and that if there are remaining kidney stones that they will pass with ease.

My dad has re-occurring stones so he had his analyzed so that he could find out what to do to avoid them in the future. Turns out he needs more citric acid. He drinks lemonade every day and is good to go. Weird.

Rachel said...

Oh my goodness! What a bad night, that sounds horrible. I've never had them but I know a couple people who have and they both wound up in the hospital over them as well. Ow!! I hope things so very steeply/quickly UPHILL for you, soon!

Kentucky Kate said...

Oh bummer! My friend Kara has a kidney condition where she constantly has kidney stones. She is also constantly stoned (ha ha). She takes narcotics to control the pain, but I think she's agreed with your assessment of it being like labor. In fact, she's my hero. She had a kidney stone and was in labor at the same time.

The Talberts said...

Wow!
I was going to tell you about Kara H., but Katie beat me to it. I didn't realize it could be so bad until I met her.
I hope your whole family heals up quickly.

Pam said...

Oh Kara! I was praying for you all day yesterday. The pain!
Pray you and the sick kiddos have a speedy recovery.

Liz K said...

oh my Kara! I am so sorry! I saw on Phil's Facebook that he was watching the kids...

Hope you get better very quickly! My mom had kidney stones, and they told her it was from calcium buildup, so she has actually stopped taking calcium supplements...

Phil Luter said...

Hey, what's this "good old Phil" stuff? Sounds like I'm some gray haired retiree. Oh wait. I am. Glad to help out. I gained a new appreciation for what it means to be the mother of five that age. Mom's like you amaze me. How do you do it every day - and bake cookies too? Hope your mom is recovered. I know she was tired last night. Praying for you.

Kara said...

Thank you all for your comments. I still don't feel very good today, I was hoping it would just pass and be done already!
Kate, narcotics are sounding pretty good right now.
Jenny, I have never heard of the lemonade thing, very interesting.
Phil, you're the best. I'm sorry Anna cried so much when you were here.

Jackie said...

Glad you are home. Praying you start feeling better soon.

Fine Girl said...

You POOR THING!! I haven't checked on the blogs lately and then when I do, I find you in crisis and no thoughtful words from me!! Good grief! I hope you are feeling much better today...I've never had a kidney stone but have seen people attempting to pass them! Poor Casey having to watch you go through it too...although, my thoughs and empathy are WAY MORE geared towards you, my dear! I hope you all are on the mend. Love to you all from your Minnesot-ah family!
brandi

Fine Girl said...

Narcotics are ALWAYS a good idea, ma'am! Just remember to take a stool softener (or Metamucil-type thing) with it!

Kelly Glupker said...

I'm so sorry to hear about how rough it's been for you, Kara. I'm so glad you have a close church family right there to help. Hope everyone feels better soon!

Laura Wells said...

Only nine more days in January. You've had a rough one. I'll pray for health for your household.

The Speer's said...

My sister gets them alot and says the same thing about it being worse than labor. And a friend just had to go to the hospital where they blasted his. Hope you feel better soon.