Thursday, January 1, 2009

Aunt Val update

My mother-in-law is feeling a little encouraged today, she and uncle Dennis met with the doctors, and they said they could keep her at this hospital for up to a month, then she would need to go to a different facility. She is totally ventilator dependent and can only blink to respond to questions. Nobody is ready to pull the plug (including Val), so it's just nice to have some time.

Casey's whole family was in town to see Val, so everyone came over for lunch today, and we got to sing Happy Birthday to Liam and eat some cake! I wasn't really prepared to make a one year old's birthday cake, so we improvised and used a cactus candle that Jenny had sent me from Arizona. It was great. I'll post pics later.

3 comments:

Amanda Irene said...

Hang in there Kara. Every time you say people came to your house I just think good greif there are already 7 people there!!! But I do wish I had a bigger family.

Laurie said...

Thank you everyone for all of your thoughts and prayers. We are definitely blessed to have such wonderful extended family and friends. My mom and I read the verses and comments from Kara's previous posts. The doctor's don't offer much hope, but those around us do. They lowered the amount of sedative that Val is on today, and she is a little more alert now. One of her friends even bought her a cd player to have in her room, so we have music for her to listen to also.

Thanks Kara for blogging.

April said...

Kara...your family amazes me! Marcia and Dennis are very strong people. I love that woman, she has touched my life and grown my heart for over 20 years...even now her courage, her heart and her family...all of you are held tightly in my heart and my prayers! Thanks more than you know for your blog and updates.