Wednesday, January 7, 2009

A Simple Recipe


Here is a recipe from Country Woman magazine (May/June 2006) that I just dug out the other day. It was super easy since it's meatless, which is just fine by me. Rachel and Abby had a little, but it was a hair spicy for their taste buds. Oh well, more for me.

**Spicy Tomato Soup**

8 ounces uncooked elbow macaroni
1 can (46 oz) tomato juice
1 can (15-1/4 oz) whole kernal corn, drained (I just throw in some frozen)
1 can (15 oz) black beans, rinsed an drained
1/4 cup salsa
3 tsp dried oregano
1-1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 to 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes, optional (I think this is what put it over the edge for the kids)
Shredded cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese, optional

1. Cook the macaroni according to the package directions. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, combine the tomato juice, corn, beans, salso, oregano, garlic powder, basil, cumin and pepper flakes if desired; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 8-10 minutes. I did add a bit of water because the tomato juice just seemed to thick for me.

2. Drain macaroni; stir into the soup. Garnish with cheese if desired. Yield 8-10 servings.

4 comments:

Amanda Irene said...

I might actually try this one! I just don't like plain tomato soup but this looks yummmmmy.

Pam said...

This sounds really good! I will try this with my kids. Probably minus the pepper flakes. They don't do spicy well.

chris k said...

KARA, YOU MAY NOT EAT THIS SATURDAY NIGHT!!!!! I REPEAT, NOT SATURDAY NIGHT! :P

Kara said...

Oh come on, Chris. You take the fun out of everything.