Thursday, July 24, 2008

One of My Favorite Muffins (I have several)


***Orange Blueberry Muffins***
(from Country Woman magazine)

1 c. quick-cooking oats
1 c. orange juice
3 c. flour
1 c. sugar
2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 c. vegetable oil (I use a bit less)
3 eggs, beaten
1 1/2 c. fresh or frozen blueberries
1 1/2 tsp grated orange peel (I never put this in)

TOPPING:
1/2 c. chopped walnuts
1/3 c. sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon

In a small bowl, combine the oats and orange juice. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, b. powder, salt, and b. soda. Combine the oil, eggs, and oat mixture; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in blueberries and orange peel.

Fill paper-lined muffin cups 2/3 full. Combine the topping ingredients; sprinkle over batter. Bake at 400 for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.
Yield: 1 1/2 dozen (I got about 2 dozen out of this recipe)
*Editor's Note: If using frozen blueberries, do not thaw before adding to batter.

5 comments:

Jenny said...

sounds yummy...now what about those chocolate/coconut muffins I'm still wondering about??? :-)

The Talberts said...

Mmmm. I have a bunch of blueberries (from the store, unfortunately - not freshly picked like yours) that I've been wanting something exciting to do with. I think I'll try these out. The cinnamon and sugar on top is what did me in.

Kara said...

Jenny, I'll post that for you! They were just OK for me, but Amanda said another friend really liked them (I took them to a little party at Amanda's house).

Melissa, I am addicted to orange juice, so I like the little hint of that in there.

Jackie said...

These sound awesome. I may have to head out to Russels again for more berries!

Jackie said...

We went a picked more berries this morning just so I could make these. Can't wait!